What happens when you round up a bunch of crazy off-grid neighbours on a sunny Sunday, here in Matarranya? Things get done, of course.
Every last Sunday of the month, the local Eco Vida community gets together to help each other out. This permablitz "Encuentro" is hosted by a different neighbour every month. The idea is to get some work done in the morning, and enjoy a shared lunch (and maybe a tour of the place) in the afternoon... The bigger aim is to meet the neighbours, welcome newcomers to the area and spend some time together. It's so easy to get absorbed by all the work on our own property, and to forget to check in on the others! While networking with the local community is such an important (and often forgotten) part of living off the grid...
I rarely write about these Encuentros (they've become such a regular thing), but in 2016 I wrote a full report of our "lazy" Sunday in Pinell de Brai (in Catalunya).
We haven't been as involved as we'd like to be in the past few months; we now manage a bed & breakfast, and our guests don't always feel like checking out early on Sundays :-) However, we're happy and proud to be hosting the next edition of the Encuentro Eco Vida at Mas del Encanto, this Sunday.
[Edit: because of torrential rain on Friday, the meeting has been postponed to next Sunday, February 4th. If you let us know you were coming, you got a message from us telling you that!]
Program of the day
- 10:30 - 11:00 - Welcome & coffee & a snack + dividing the chores
- 11:00 - 13:00 - "Permablitz" (see below)
- 13:00 - 13:30 - Preparing lunch - do bring something to share (food or drink) if you can
- 13:30 - 15:30 - Shared lunch
- 15:30 - Tour of our property: the maset, the vegetable garden, the composting toilet, guest accommodations, future projects,...
A permablitz is a way to get a LOT done on your property, in just one day. Or in this case, a few hours. It's a sort of "permaculture blitz": in a short amount of time, it's possible to transform a few things on your land... which is what we do, one Sunday a month.
The tasks at hand for this Sunday are the following:
- Collect alpaca manure from different pastures and add it to the compost pile (if you'd like to bring a bucket home, bring your own bucket!)
- Paint the alpaca stable
- Paint the chicken coop
- Dig channels for rainwater collection & deviation
- Preparing garden beds for planting
What to bring?
Things will go a lot smoother if you can bring some of the following:
- A shovel (to dig trenches or shovel manure)
- A wheelbarrow
- Working gloves
- A water bottle (plenty of water available here, from our own well)
- Food or drinks to share at lunchtime
- If you've got any seeds you'd like to give away or exchange with others, bring those as well!
If you happen to arrive here empty-handed, that's ok too ;-)
What else do you need to know?
Don't forget to bring the directions to Mas del Encanto.
If there's anything else you'd like to know about this day, feel free to contact us by e-mail or WhatsApp.
Also, there's a Facebook Event for this Encuentro... sign up to connect with others. You might be able to find a ride, or connect with other attendees who happen to be near you?
Can't make it this time?
No worries, this isn't the last Encuentro ever! Write down these dates in your agenda:
- Sunday, April 29th - at Shai & Maria's finca in Valderrobres
- Sunday, May 27th - at Mas Amor (our neighbours from across the road) - between Lledo & Cretas
- Sunday, June 24th - Mas de Dalt
After that, we'll take a summer break... July and August are far too hot to get things done!
See you on Sunday?